Monday, July 26, 2010

Technically, it's step by step


I love coffee. I drink it all day - hot and cold. My co-workers in a former newsroom used to joke that I took my coffee "intravenously." Maybe, but when it comes that first cup of coffee I have two requirements - I like it fresh and piping hot. I blame this love on the fact that as I was growing up, I was awakened every morning by the smell of freshly-perked coffee wafting through the house. As a result, that means I make fresh coffee every morning. However, thanks to technology, I am able to prepare a good cup a coffee the night before in my Cuisinart Coffee Maker. That means I'm still waking up to the smell of freshly-brewed coffee first thing in the morning!


The Process


Preparing the coffee is as easy as it sounds. Since the coffee maker sits under the the upper cabinet, I pull the coffee maker toward the front of the counter. This enables one to open the lid of the coffee maker. Next, reach in and pull out the reusable filter basket holding the used coffee grounds. Empty the used grounds in the wastebasket in the pantry closet, located at the end of the counter. Once empty, rinse the reusable gold filter in the sink. This washes away any leftover used grounds. Once clean, place the basket back in its slot in the coffee maker.


Remove the glass carafe from the coffee maker's burner. Empty any remaining coffee in the pot into the sink. Remove the top of the carafe and rinse the pot with hot water. Empty the carafe and then fill with cold water to the bottom of the black ring at the top of the pot; snap the lid back into place.


Return to the coffee maker with the carafe of water. Empty the water into the coffee maker's reservoir, located at the back right-hand corner. Remove the coffee from the refrigerator. Open the canister, and using the scoop inside, add five level scoops of ground coffee to the filter. Return the scoop to the coffee can, replace the lid and put it back into the refrigerator. Close the lid of the coffee maker and flip the silver lever at the center of the front of the coffee maker. That triggers a green light, giving the signal that the timer is set for a predetermined time for the morning. Push the coffee maker back to the rear of the counter.


Summary


Mr. Coffee and the coffee makers that have followed, make it much easier to make coffee today. Simply empty the used coffee grounds, rinse out the reusable filter and replace it in the coffee maker. Rinse out the carafe and fill it with cold tap water. Fill the reservoir and add the desired amount of coffee to the filter. Close the lid and set the timer. Modern-day coffee makers are quicker and easier than the old-fashioned percolators, giving coffee lovers that same flavor of freshly-brewed, piping hot coffee on demand. In fact, today one can make it, set it and forget it!


Nothing like the smell of fresh coffee to get your day going!

No comments:

Post a Comment